The crude oil pipeline information system (RIS) is a technical and environmental information system on the basis of the use of mapinfo technology – a geographic information system (http://www.mapinfo.com). The system operates at the client/server interface. There is also a web application RIS designed for a wider circle of users. The system is designed as a support of operations related to the oil pipeline performance, emergency planning, technological operations in pumping stations and all the operations which ensure the integrity and safety of the oil pipeline system.
RIS models the oil pipeline system with surrounding territory in the width of 2 km along the oil pipeline route from the Ukrainian border to the border of the Czech Republic. The model features the possibility to Access to chosen objects, to add, modify, or edit the geographical data in another way.
The RIS database is divided into two basic groups. It consists of:
- data pertaining to the pipeline system
- territorial data.
The supplies based on the contracts with external suppliers are used in internal data sources of TRANSPETROL to create the database about the oil pipeline system. Internal sources of TRANSPETROL comprise:
- digital technical map of TRANSPETROL DTM TP,
- technologické schémy úsekov trasy ropovodu a prečerpávacích staníc, technologické schémy objektov ropovodu a existujúce generely prečerpávacích staníc,
- technological schemes of the oil pipeline route sections and pumping stations, technological schemes of the oil pipeline objects and existing generals of pumping stations.
- technical documentation of the DART electronic archive. The information from the electronic archive, directly related to the object in the RIS system, have a RIS – DART interconnection. The system was built in 2005,
- data gained by the internal control of the pipeline are from two time periods which were obtained by cleaning (hedgehogs) in 2000 – 2002 and in 2005. The system enables to monitor the development of the pipeline defects.
- data gained by the pipeline cathodic protection (KAO) measures using an intensive method at selected sections, where new measures had been held. The building of this RIS database depends on the measures taken on the route. At present RIS database contains the data of the measures at the sections: border UA-PS1- PS2, PS2-PS3, PS4-PS5 a PS5- Slovnaft.
- video recordings of scheduled air control of the pipeline. The video recordings are linked with the GPS coordinates of the flight route integrated into RIS. The user is able to check the territory directly on the screen and to compare the state of the area with the actual display of geographical data of the area.
The database of the areas contains:
- air ortophotomaps of the area with the precision of the scale of 1:5000, 1pix.=50cm,,
- cadastral data about the ownership relations of the parcels located within the crude oil pipeline protection zone or which are partially located within the crude oil pipeline protection zone.
- – environmental and geological database of selected geological objects important in terms of evaluating of hazards, dangerous in terms of damaging the pipeline´s integrity. The objects of the RIS database create engineering, geological and hydrogeological structure, the level of the surface of groundwater, vulnerability of groundwater, incidence of groundwater sources in the crude oil pipeline protected zone, morphometric characteristics of the terrain, functional use of the territory and specification of the sites with geodynamic dangers such as: slope deformations, incidence of neotectonic fracture, erosion, predisposition to volume changes, incidence of maximum intensity of potential earthquake,
- a geographic data base SVM50 – a continuous vector map of scale 1:50000. The database displays the territory of Slovakia in the scale of 1:50000. Objects are categorised into layers: administrative boundaries (cadaster, village, district, region, state), sites – built – up villages and towns, growth, water flows, roads, railways, altitude.
The oil pipeline information system as a whole is a supportive tool of the oil pipeline´s operation whose main contributions are present mainly in:
- saving of operating expenses and lowering of the supplying service expenses,
- fast and precise localisation of the place of the repair, accident etc.,
- immediate providing of map and tabular outcomes to technical news and documents,
- support of decision – making within operating processes of the operation of the oil pipeline, management and external negotiations,
- prevention extraordinary events and minimization of caused expenses on damage disposal at the same time,
- decreasing of compensation at the owners´ lands,
- data provision for land office and the state administration, thus the risk of and accident caused by the third party is lowered